Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Skinny Minny Recipe: Easy Chicken Tikka Masala

This recipe is delicious and really easy to make.  I've always loved Indian food.  The spices and aroma are absolutely amazing, but I've always been intimidated to try making any dishes.  But, while browsing my local grocery store I caught my eye on Tasty Bite Tikka Masala Cooking Sauce.  The directions seemed pretty easy to follow, so I took a whirl at it.

Serves two--
All you need is:
  • 6 chicken tenders sliced (about 1 lb)
  • 1 bunch of cilantro (diced)
  • 1 stalk of green onion (diced)
  • 1 small shallot (finely diced)
  • 1 package of Tasty Bite Tikka Masala Cooking Sauce
  • 1/3 cup of chicken broth (I used chicken bullion cube in 1/3 cup of boiling water)
  • Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder to taste
  • Serve with brown rice/whole wheat naan bread and a small dollop of light sour cream
First, I cut my chicken tenders into small cubes (about 1 1/2 " thick).


Heat your pan (medium high) with about 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.  Place your chicken cubes and shallots in the pan.  Season with salt, garlic powder, and pepper.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink and slightly brown.

Mix in the Tasty Bite Tikka Masala Cooking Sauce along with the 1/3 cup of chicken broth.  The recipe initially only called for the cooking sauce, but I felt it needed more sauce so I added the chicken broth.  The chicken broth also cuts the thinkness of the sauce and gives it a smoother texture. 



Stir in the cilantro (reserving some for garnish) into the pan.  Lower the heat to medium low.  Simmer for about 4-5 minutes. Stir frequently.  Plate the dish over brown rice or with a side of whole wheat naan bread.  Then add the green onions, cilantro, and a small dollop of light sour cream. 

That's all there is to it.  Total time to make the meal is about 15 min.  Amazing, cheap, healthy, and delicious!




Skinny Minny Calories: ~350-400 calories

1 comment: