Thursday, July 25, 2013

(Not So) Extreme Couponing...the Domesticated Diva Way!

So I finally realized what all this couponing fuss was all about.  I have caught an episode or two of the reality show Extreme Couponing, which looks more like an episode of Hoarders to me...lol  I didn't want to go too extreme with this couponing thing, because I do have a life. I started my coupon journey about 2 months ago.  My favorite stores to coupon at are Walgreens and HEB. HEB because I grew up shopping there, and Walgreens because we have one in our subdivision!

Here are my tips for average couponing:
  • Look on sites like http://www.coupons.com/, http://www.save.com/http://www.smartsource.comhttp://www.couponnetwork.com, and http://www.healthyessentials.com ...you don't have to get the Sunday paper to coupon!  They have internet printable coupons which are all free! Print the maximum times allowed (which is usually two).  You can also print more if you have an additional laptop or computer.
  • Also look at the company's website or Facebook page...you are more than likely to find some coupons under a promotion's tab or by signing up your email account.
  • Also, check out this Slick Deal link...they have tons and tons of internet printable coupons.
  • Sign up for apps on your mobile phone like ibotta and Receipt Hog.  You can earn even more money by stacking coupons with ibotta deals!
  • Only clip and buy items you will use.  I love stocking up on non-food items (shampoos, razors, shaving cream, soap, toothpaste, tooth brushes, etc) because they will never really expire like food.
  • Learn your store's coupon policy.  Every store is different.  I personally shop at HEB, but their coupon policy is probably the worst one.
  • Search next week's ad so you can prepare for your shopping trips.  Store ads are available online about a week prior.  This will get you an idea of what coupons to use and to try to get the coupons you need. The I Heart Wags website is a good site to preview Walgreens ads. 
  • Visit coupon blogs!  My favorites are Hip 2 Save, Wild for Wags, HEB Bargain Hunter, and The Krazy Coupon Lady.  I visit these blogs at least twice a day.
  • If you can stack your coupons (I stack coupons at Walgreens, but HEB does not allow stacking) do it!  Stacking means using a "In Store" coupon with a Manufacturer's coupon.  You can have big savings by doing this!
  • Walgreens lets you use two coupons for "Buy One, Get One Free" deals.  You can save some serious dough with these deals!
  • Walgreens also has a catalina promotion called Register Rewards.  This means if you buy a certain item or certain amount of items, you will get a reward coupon back for your next purchase which is essentially free money. 
  • Also register an account with HEB.  They will usually send special in store coupons.  For instance, they had a coupon promo during the 4th of July...$3 off any $3 Produce Purchase and $5 off any $15 meat purchase!  What an awesome deal!
Here are some examples of past deal I scored at Walgreens:

This is a great deal considering Ozarka water at HEB is $3.69.  You also get one of those awesome Register Rewards catalinas, so it's like getting this 24 pack of Ozarka water for $2.49!

Buy one Right Guard deodorant ($4.49) and get a second free.  As I mention with Walgreens, you can use two coupons on BOGO offers!  I had (2) $1.50, which is a savings of $3.00.  I paid $0.75 for each deodorant!

Buy one Dial Body Wash ($5.79) and get the second free.  I used (2) $2.00 manufacturer's coupon, which is a savings of $4.00. I paid $0.89 for each body wash!

I used a $1.00 manufacturer's coupon, and paid $0.29 for Butterball Turkey Bacon!

Buy one Dial Hand Soap ($2.99) and get one free.  I used a $1 off 2 coupon, so I paid $1 for each Dial Hand Soap!

Buy one Organix Shampoo ($7.99) and get one free.  I used (2) $2.00 manufacturer coupon, and saved $4.00. So, I paid $2.00 for each Organix Shampoo!

I used one $0.75 manufacturer's coupon and one $0.50 Walgreens coupon.  So, I saved $1.25 and I paid $0.74 for a bottle of Simply Lemonade!

I used a $1.00 manufacturer's coupon and with the $0.75 ibotta credit (see right pic), I saved $1.75.  So, I paid $1.74 for 9 rolls of toilet paper, which ends up being just over $0.19 per roll!  What a deal!

Couponing can be an easy hobby to do during your spare time.  I mean who doesn't love saving money!

2 comments: